Why does Safari respond with "The operation cannot be completed" when registering WebAuthn Credentials?

Viewed 108

When implementing WebAuthn authenticator registration on my site, I ran into the issue that during the attestation / registration process, Safari returns a modal saying "The operation cannot be completed" after I attest using one of my devices. The process works on other browsers, but fails on Safari.

The Error Message

1 Answers

This is because Safari fails WebAuthn registration for any attestation request asking for an additional attestation statement via the attestation conveyance.

I couldn't find this documented anywhere, but I played around with the Auth0 WebAuthn registration debugger and came to the conclusion that the "attestation" field was what was causing this popup. I would assume that Safari is being super defensive against any additional data being given about WebAuthn enabled devices via the protocol?

But in summary, ensuring:

navigator.credentials.create({
  ...
  attestation: 'none',
});

worked to prevent the popup for me.

Related