I want to fill in missing values for a data.frame based on a period of time within groups of ID.
For the latest registration_dat within the same ID group, I want to fill in with previous values in the ID group but only if the registration_dat is within 1 year of the latest registration_dat in the ID group.
Sample version of my data:
ID registration_dat value1 value2
1 2020-03-04 NA NA
1 2019-05-06 33 25
1 2019-01-02 32 21
3 2021-10-31 NA NA
3 2018-10-12 33 NA
3 2018-10-10 25 35
4 2020-01-02 NA NA
4 2019-10-31 32 83
4 2019-09-20 33 56
8 2019-12-12 NA NA
8 2019-10-31 NA 43
8 2019-08-12 32 46
Desired output:
ID registration_dat value1 value2
1 2020-03-04 33 25
1 2019-05-06 33 25
1 2019-01-02 32 21
3 2021-10-31 NA NA
3 2018-10-12 33 NA
3 2018-10-10 25 35
4 2020-01-02 32 83
4 2019-10-31 32 83
4 2019-09-20 33 56
8 2019-12-12 32 43
8 2019-10-31 NA 43
8 2019-08-12 32 46
I am later filtering the data so that i get one unique ID based on the latest registration date and I want this row to have as little missing data as possible hence I want to do this for all columns in the dataframe. However I do not want NA values being filled in by values in previous dates if its more than 1 year apart from the latest registration date. My dataframe has 14 columns and 3 million+ rows so I would need it to work on a much bigger data.frame than the one shown as an example.
I'd appreciate any ideas!