There is a WPF MVVM app. On the main view I have a list of elements, which are defined with ListView.ItemTemplate, in that I want to have a context menu with Delete action.
The Command for that is separated from the view and is kept in ViewModel DreamListingViewModel.
The problem is that on clicking on Delete I can't get it to execute the command on ViewModelk as context there is that of the item, not the items container.
I can make it work somehow by moving the context menu definition outside of the list view elements, but then when I open the context menu, it flickers, as if it's being called "20" times (which what I think does happen, as many times as I have elements in collection), anyways, I need a clean solution for that and I am very bad with XAML.
Here is how my View looks:
<ListView.ItemTemplate>
<DataTemplate>
<Grid Margin="0 5 0 5" Background="Transparent" Width="auto">
<Grid.ContextMenu>
<ContextMenu>
<MenuItem Header="Delete"
Command="{Binding DeleteSelectedDream}"
CommandParameter="{Binding DeleteSelectedDream,
RelativeSource={RelativeSource
Mode=FindAncestor,
AncestorType={x:Type viewmodels:DreamListingViewModel}}}"
/>
</ContextMenu>
</Grid.ContextMenu>
...
It's the main window and initialized in a generic host in App.cs:
public partial class App : Application
{
private readonly IHost _host;
public App()
{
...
_host = Host.CreateDefaultBuilder().ConfigureServices(services =>
{
...
services.AddTransient<DreamListingViewModel>();
services.AddSingleton((s) => new DreamListingView()
{
DataContext = s.GetRequiredService<DreamListingViewModel>()
});
...
}).Build();
The Command and CommandParameter values are what I've been experimenting with, but it doesn't work
Here is how my ViewModel looks:
internal class DreamListingViewModel : ViewModelBase
{
public ICommand DeleteSelectedDream{ get; }
...
Finally, when the command is fired, I need to pass the current element on which the menu has been shown.
So, here is what I want:
- User clicks on a list item with mouse right button - OK
- Sees a menu with Delete entry - OK
- On Delete click, Command DeleteSelectedDream is fired with current dream (item in the list) as a parameter - ERR