I have a data frame called "ref" that contains information that allows mapping of gene entrez ID to the gene's start and end positions. I have another data frame "ori_data" where each row contains unique mutations from samples, which gives a genomic position. I am trying to assign each position given in "ori_data" to map to information on "ref" in order to assign entrez ID to each mutation. I have tried a for loop to match for the same chromosome, and then select for positions in "ori_data" that fall between the coordinates in "ref" though I have not been successful. The "ori_data" dataset is over 1 million rows, so I'm not sure a for loop is an efficient solution. Note that many positions will be mapped to the same entrez ID in my real dataset. "Final" is what I want to happen- which would just add a column for entrezID according to chromosome/position. TYIA!
ref = data.frame("EntrezID" = c(1, 10, 100, 1000), "Chromosome" = c("19", "8", "20", "18"), "txStarts" = c("58345182", "18391281", "44619518", "27950965"), "txEnds" = c("58353492", "18401215", "44651758", "28177130"))
ori_data = data.frame("Chromosome" = c("19", "8", "20", "18"), "Pos" = c("58345186", "18401213", "44619519", "27950966"),
"Sample" = c("HCC1", "HCC2", "HCC1", "HCC3"))
final = data.frame("Chromosome" = c("19", "8", "20", "18"), "Pos" = c("58345186", "18401213", "44619519", "27950966"),
"Sample" = c("HCC1", "HCC2", "HCC1", "HCC3"), "EntrezID" = c(1,10,100,1000))
I have tried this line of code and I'm unsure as to why it does not work.
for (i in 1:dim(ori_data)[1])
{
for (j in 1:dim(ref)[1])
{
ID = which(ori_data[i, "Chromosome"] == ref[j,
"Chromosome"])
if (length(ID) > 0)
{
Pos = ori_data[ID, "POS"]
IDj = which(Pos >= ref[j, "txStarts"] & Pos <=
ref[j, "txEnds"])
print(IDj)
if (length(IDj) > 0)
{
ori_data = cbind("Entrez" = ref[IDj,
"EntrezID"], ori_data)
}
}
}
}