In a program that revolves around maths, I find myself using Plotly.NET (F#) to display user-defined functions. This works quite well, but there are cases where a function has discontinuities or even chunks defined over certain regions. For example, for the function f(x) defined by 0 if x <= 0 and 10 elsewhere, the expected graph (I used Wolfram Alpha here) is:
With Plotly and the code below,
let fn x = if x <= 0.0 then 0.0 else 10.0
let xs = [ -10.0 .. 0.1 .. 10.0 ]
let ys = Seq.map fn xs
Chart.Line(xs, ys, UseDefaults = false)
|> Chart.withTitle @"$f(x)$"
|> Chart.savePNG("example")
I get this graph:
As you can see, Plotly connects two points that shouldn't be connected (and I don't blame it, that's how the lib works). I wonder then how to avoid this kind of behaviour, which often happens with piecewise defined functions.
If possible, I would like a solution that is general enough to be applied to all functions / graphs, as my program does not encode functions in advance, the user enters them. The research I've done doesn't lead me anywhere, unfortunately, and the documentation doesn't show an example for what I want.
PS: also, you may have noticed, Plotly doesn't display the LaTex in the exported image, according to my research this is a known issue with Python, but if you know how to solve this with the .NET version of the lib, I'm also interested!


