I'm working on my fast (and accurate) sin implementation in C++, and I have a problem regarding the efficient angle scaling into the +- pi/2 range.
My sin function for +-pi/2 using Taylor series is the following (Note: FLOAT is a macro expanded to float or double just for the benchmark)
/**
* Sin for 'small' angles, accurate on [-pi/2, pi/2], fairly accurate on [-pi, pi]
*/
// To switch between float and double
#define FLOAT float
FLOAT
my_sin_small(FLOAT x)
{
constexpr FLOAT C1 = 1. / (7. * 6. * 5. * 4. * 3. * 2.);
constexpr FLOAT C2 = -1. / (5. * 4. * 3. * 2.);
constexpr FLOAT C3 = 1. / (3. * 2.);
constexpr FLOAT C4 = -1.;
// Correction for sin(pi/2) = 1, due to the ignored taylor terms
constexpr FLOAT corr = -1. / 0.9998431013994987;
const FLOAT x2 = x * x;
return corr * x * (x2 * (x2 * (x2 * C1 + C2) + C3) + C4);
}
So far so good... The problem comes when I try to scale an arbitrary angle into the +-pi/2 range. My current solution is:
FLOAT
my_sin(FLOAT x)
{
constexpr FLOAT pi = 3.141592653589793238462;
constexpr FLOAT rpi = 1 / pi;
// convert to +-pi/2 range
int n = std::nearbyint(x * rpi);
FLOAT xbar = (n * pi - x) * (2 * (n & 1) - 1);
// (2 * (n % 2) - 1) is a sign correction (see below)
return my_sin_small(xbar);
};
I made a benchmark, and I'm losing a lot for the +-pi/2 scaling.
Tricking with int(angle/pi + 0.5) is a nope since it is limited to the int precision, also requires +- branching, and i try to avoid branches...
What should I try to improve the performance for this scaling? I'm out of ideas.
Benchmark results for float. (In the benchmark the angle could be out of the validity range for my_sin_small, but for the bench I don't care about that...):



