I am working on a project where users can upload files into a S3 bucket, these uploaded files are mapped to a GraphQL key (which was generated by Amplify CLI), and an aws-lambda function is triggered. All of this is working, but the next step I want is for this aws-lambda function to create a second file with the same ownership attributes and POST the location of the saved second file to the GraphQL API.
I figured that this shouldn't be too difficult but I am having a lot of difficulty and can't understand where the problem lies.
BACKGROUND/DETAILS
I want the owner of the data (the uploader) to be the only user who is able to access the data, with the aws-lambda function operating in an admin role and able to POST/GET to API of any owner.
The GraphQL schema looks like this:
type FileUpload @model
@auth(rules: [
{ allow: owner}]) {
id: ID!
foo: String
bar: String
}
And I also found this seemingly-promising AWS guide which I thought would give an IAM role admin access (https://docs.amplify.aws/cli/graphql/authorization-rules/#configure-custom-identity-and-group-claims) which I followed by creating the file amplify/backend/api/<your-api-name>/custom-roles.json and saved it with
{
"adminRoleNames": ["<YOUR_IAM_ROLE_NAME>"]
}
I replaced "<YOUR_IAM_ROLE_NAME>" with an IAM Role which I have given broad access to, including this appsync access:
{
"Version": "2012-10-17",
"Statement": [
{
"Effect": "Allow",
"Action": [
"appsync:*"
],
"Resource": "*"
}
]
}
Which is the role given to my aws-lambda function.
When I attempt to run a simple API query in my aws-lambda function with the above settings I get this error
response string:
{
"data": {
"getFileUpload": null
},
"errors": [
{
"path": [
"getFileUpload"
],
"data": null,
"errorType": "Unauthorized",
"errorInfo": null,
"locations": [
{
"line": 3,
"column": 11,
"sourceName": null
}
],
"message": "Not Authorized to access getFileUpload on type Query"
}
]
}
my actual python lambda script is
import http
API_URL = '<MY_API_URL>'
API_KEY = '<>MY_API_KEY'
HOST = API_URL.replace('https://','').replace('/graphql','')
def queryAPI():
conn = http.client.HTTPSConnection(HOST, 443)
headers = {
'Content-type': 'application/graphql',
'x-api-key': API_KEY,
'host': HOST
}
print('conn: ', conn)
query = '''
{
getFileUpload(id: "<ID_HERE>") {
description
createdAt
baseFilePath
}
}
'''
graphql_query = {
'query': query
}
query_data = json.dumps(graphql_query)
print('query data: ', query_data)
conn.request('POST', '/graphql', query_data, headers)
response = conn.getresponse()
response_string = response.read().decode('utf-8')
print('response string: ', response_string)
I pass in the API key and API URL above in addition to giving AWS-lambda the IAM role. I understand that only one is probably needed, but I am trying to get the process to work then pare it back.
QUESTION(s)
As far as I understand, I am
- providing the appropriate @auth rules to my GraphQL schema based on my goals and (2 below)
- giving my aws-lambda function sufficient IAM authorization (via both IAM role and API key) to override any potential restrictive @auth rules of my GraphQL schema
But clearly something is not working. Can anyone point me towards a problem that I am overlooking?