I'm developing an iOS app that requires BLE but am confused as to the current state and workflow for getting Bluetooth into my app using Expo's tools.
So far I gather there are some constraints that I must work around:
- Simulator does not support Bluetooth
- Expo Go does not support Bluetooth
So (and I'm new to this so be patient) I gather that means I must either
expo run:ios -dand run on a connected device, oreas build -p iosand download to devices.
But what's unclear (and I may not even have the above quite right, in fact I'd be happy to know that it's not that complex) is how to access Bluetooth in the first place. I see that the Expo API provides access to all kinds of platform functionality, but don't see Bluetooth anywhere there. I gather that in order to use Bluetooth, I must use react-native-ble-plx (ignoring the part where it says my project needs to be "ejected"?) for which I need to add a corresponding plugin with
yarn add @config-plugins/react-native-ble-plx expo-dev-client
and and the corresponding entry under expo.plugins in my app.json.
Do I have that right? Will those steps then give me access to platform Bluetooth (though not in Expo Go or Simulator)?