Secret Key in Django when upload to Github

Viewed 295

I been following a Django course on Youtube and coding an local app. But when I commit to my repo on Github, i get a mail from GitGuardian says that Django Secret key exposed. I don't know anything about this, does this mean my account at risk or something? The app I made just by following step from the course, it just an local app run on my computer. Is there any harm to anything of mine(code, computer,...)? I am very worried now Here is the messeage i get in my mail from gitguardian

1 Answers

the secret key is used for generating cryptographic keys in your application like session cookies and password reset tokens. If someone has access to your secret key, they can generate their own hashes for your site. Here's a good rabbit hole to go down for more detailed information on the risks of exposing your secret key

Related