I've picked up a project that requires me to plot custom regions within the United States (including OCONUS regions and territories). Because the whole data set is huge, I've put a "small" subset here (the file name is AZExample.csv). The name of my full data frame is allgeo, and I've gotten this far:
colnames(allgeo) <- c("County", "long", "lat", "group", "order", "State", "sregion")
g <- ggplot(NULL)
# Plot state outlines
g <- g + geom_polygon(data = us_states, aes(x = long, y = lat, group = group),
color = "black", fill = "white", size = 0.1)
g <- g + coord_map(projection = "albers", lat0 = 39, lat1 = 45)
# Add county outlines
g <- g + geom_polygon(data = allgeo, aes(x = long, y = lat, group = group,
fill = sregion))
g <- g + guides(fill = "none")
g <- g + theme(axis.line = element_blank(),
axis.text = element_blank(),
axis.ticks = element_blank(),
axis.title = element_blank(),
panel.background = element_blank(),
panel.border = element_blank(),
panel.grid = element_blank())
g
I am trying to produce an image of the US (including territories at some point), coloring them by what I've called sregion here. The plot that I get is not what I want since the sregions are not solid colors: 
Eventually I would like to add other collections of counties, but before I can do that, I need to figure this out. I'm sure this is a fundamental something when creating maps like this, but I've not done this before. Any suggestions?
