My Dockerfile:
FROM php:7.0-fpm
# Install dependencies, etc
RUN \
&& mkfifo /tmp/stdout \
&& chmod 777 /tmp/stdout
ADD docker-entrypoint.sh /usr/local/bin/docker-entrypoint.sh
ENTRYPOINT ["/usr/local/bin/docker-entrypoint.sh"]
as you can see I'm creating a named pipe at /tmp/stdout. And my docker-entrypoint.sh:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# Some run-time configuration stuff...
exec "./my-app" "$@" | tail -f /tmp/stdout
My PHP application (an executable named my-app) writes its application logs to /tmp/stdout. I want those logs to then be captured by Docker so that I can do docker logs <container_id> and see the logs that the application wrote to /tmp/stdout. I am attempting to do this by running the my-app command and then tailing /tmp/stdout, which will then output the logs to stdout.
What I'm seeing happen is that when I run my application, it hangs when it writes the first log message. I believe this happens because there is nothing "reading" from the named pipe, and writing to a named pipe blocks until something reads from it. This is confirmed if I do docker exec -it <container_id> bash, and then do tail -f /tmp/stdout myself inside the container. Once I do that, the container immediately exits because the application has written its logs to the named pipe.
For reasons that I won't bloat this post with, it's not possible for my-app itself to write logs to stdout. It has to use /tmp/stdout.
Can anybody tell me why this isn't working, and what I need to change? I expect I have to change the exec call in docker-entrypoint.sh, but I'm not sure how. Thank you!