Disclaimer
I'm new to poetry and I've searched around, but apologies if I've missed something obvious..
What I want to do is:
- specify an arbitrary python version in a poetry project (I don't care how I specify it, but presumably in
pyproject.toml) - run a command (presumably
poetry shellorpoetry install, maybe in conjunction withpoetry env use) that puts me into an environment that uses the python version I specified above (I don't mind if it's a few commands instead of just one)
I've already tried:
poetry env use 3.10(when I don't have python 3.10 installed already)- This gives me an error:
/bin/sh: python3.10: command not found - Notably, I get why this error is showing up, I'd just like to have
poetryinstall python 3.10 in this case
- This gives me an error:
poetry env use 3.10(when I'm in acondaenv that has python 3.10 installed)- This works! But... the
pythonexecuteable is symlinked to the one in the conda env - Maybe this is fine, but my goal is to use
poetryinstead ofcondaso I'd like to avoid relying oncondato install python versions
- This works! But... the
What I've seen people do is:
Use poetry in conjunction with pyenv (where pyenv is used to install the python version).
So, my question is:
Is using something like pyenv to install python versions necessary? Is there no way to tell poetry that I want it to install a given python version?
I've looked through the poetry docs, their GH issues, and some SO posts, but (again) apologies if I'm missing something.
Additional Info
poetryversion: 1.1.13- OS: MacOS (Catalina)
- python version used to install
poetry(and therefore the one it seems to default to): 3.7.6 - happy to add anything else relevant :)