I'm doing an linux driver and application test on a qemu arm64 virtual machine. My virtual machine is slightly modified version of arm 'virt' machine and it has our device model included. When I do request_irq for INTID 208 (SPI 176) in linux on my arm64 virtual machine, it returns -EINVAL. I poked into that function and found the desc is returning NULL in function request_threaded_irq.
int request_threaded_irq(unsigned int irq, irq_handler_t handler,
irq_handler_t thread_fn, unsigned long irqflags,
const char *devname, void *dev_id)
{
struct irqaction *action;
struct irq_desc *desc;
int retval;
...
desc = irq_to_desc(irq);
if (!desc)
return -EINVAL;
...
}
and irq_to_desc is supposed to return an irq_desc from the irq_radix_tree as shown below.
struct irq_desc *irq_to_desc(unsigned int irq)
{
return radix_tree_lookup(&irq_desc_tree, irq);
}
void *radix_tree_lookup(const struct radix_tree_root *root, unsigned long index)
{
return __radix_tree_lookup(root, index, NULL, NULL);
}
void *__radix_tree_lookup(const struct radix_tree_root *root,
unsigned long index, struct radix_tree_node **nodep,
void __rcu ***slotp)
{
struct radix_tree_node *node, *parent;
unsigned long maxindex;
void __rcu **slot;
restart:
parent = NULL;
slot = (void __rcu **)&root->xa_head;
radix_tree_load_root(root, &node, &maxindex);
if (index > maxindex)
return NULL;
...
}
and I found my request index is 208 but the maxindex of the radix tree is 63. So it looks like the radix tree of irq_desc has been set to have maximum 64 irq_descs. Where and how can I set this radix tree size? I looked at qemu's hw/arm/ab21q-build-acpi.c for MADT or DSDT table parts but couldn't find what to add. I have my devices address range and irq added in the DSDT and MADT.
static void
build_dsdt(GArray *table_data, BIOSLinker *linker, Ab21qMachineState *vms)
{
...
acpi_dsdt_add_axpu(scope, &memmap[AB21Q_AXPU],
(irqmap[AB21Q_AXPU] + ARM_SPI_BASE));
...
}
static void acpi_dsdt_add_axpu(Aml *scope, const MemMapEntry *axpu_memmap,
uint32_t irq)
{
Aml *dev = aml_device("AXPU");
aml_append(dev, aml_name_decl("_HID", aml_string("AXPU0011")));
aml_append(dev, aml_name_decl("_UID", aml_int(0)));
Aml *crs = aml_resource_template();
aml_append(crs, aml_memory32_fixed(axpu_memmap->base,
axpu_memmap->size, AML_READ_WRITE));
aml_append(crs,
aml_interrupt(AML_CONSUMER, AML_LEVEL, AML_ACTIVE_HIGH,
AML_EXCLUSIVE, &irq, 1));
aml_append(dev, aml_name_decl("_CRS", crs));
aml_append(scope, dev);
}
I'm not sure if I can just use _HID value as "AXPU0011". If you see anything wrong and have a suggestion, please tell me.
ADD
This is the boot message of the virtual machine related to IRQ.
[ 0.000000] NR_IRQS: 64, nr_irqs: 64, preallocated irqs: 0
[ 0.000000] GICv3: 224 SPIs implemented
[ 0.000000] GICv3: 0 Extended SPIs implemented
[ 0.000000] GICv3: Distributor has no Range Selector support
[ 0.000000] GICv3: 16 PPIs implemented
[ 0.000000] GICv3: no VLPI support, no direct LPI support
[ 0.000000] GICv3: CPU0: found redistributor 0 region 0:0x00000000080a0000
Somehow the NR_IRQS is 64.
So I tried using SPI 15 which was not assigned. (32 internal IRQs + 15 < 64) and now request_irq returns 0.
So this irq_desc problem was solved(?) for now. (I don’t know why this is so small when CONFIG_SPARSE_IRQS=y).
And still the handler is not called even when I set qemu_set_irq.
ADD
This is the fdt generation part for the device.
static void create_ab21q_axpu_device(const Ab21qMachineState *vms)
{
char *nodename;
printf("create_ab21q_axpu_device called!\n");
hwaddr base = vms->memmap[AB21Q_AXPU].base;
hwaddr size = vms->memmap[AB21Q_AXPU].size;
int irq = vms->irqmap[AB21Q_AXPU]; // irq = 15 (meaning SPI 15)
const char compat[] = "ab21q-axpu";
sysbus_create_simple("ab21q-axpu", base, qdev_get_gpio_in(vms->gic, irq));
nodename = g_strdup_printf("/ab21q_axpu@%" PRIx64, base);
qemu_fdt_add_subnode(vms->fdt, nodename);
qemu_fdt_setprop(vms->fdt, nodename, "compatible", compat, sizeof(compat));
qemu_fdt_setprop_sized_cells(vms->fdt, nodename, "reg", 2, base, 2, size);
qemu_fdt_setprop_cells(vms->fdt, nodename, "interrupts",
GIC_FDT_IRQ_TYPE_SPI, irq,
GIC_FDT_IRQ_FLAGS_LEVEL_HI);
qemu_fdt_setprop_cell(vms->fdt, nodename, "interrupt-parent", vms->gic_phandle);
g_free(nodename);
}