Context: I am a student in university that learned how to use debugger a few weeks ago and primarily code in Java/Python. No frameworks yet.
Problem:
I have had a problem with my vscode bugger for quite a while and no one seems to know the answer but the gist is: my debugger won't show local variables when I debug the first time vscode is booted up. I tried all the relevant possible solutions I found and even went to my professor but even they don't know. Am I doing something wrong? How can I fix this? Please help.

Main things I tried are:
- Tried different options to run the debugger (F5, running through "Run and debug" section, etc.)
- Rebooting vscode every time I needed to debug.
- Killing terminal and debug session each time.
- Out of desperation, just printing.
I still am new to programming, so I hope its just an error on my part and that I don't need to move to a different IDE since I really like vscode.