I have this csv file (called df.csv):
I read it in using this code:
import pandas as pd
df = pd.read_csv('df.csv')
and I print it out using this code:
print(df)
and the output of the print looks like this:
employment_type ltv
0
1
2 Salaried 77.13
3 Salaried 77.4
4 Salaried 76.42
5 Salaried 71.89
As you can see, the first two records are empty. I check the dataframe info with this code:
print(df.info())
and the output looks like this:
# Column Non-Null Count Dtype
--- ------ -------------- -----
0 employment_type 6 non-null object
1 ltv 6 non-null object
Now, I would expect that:
employment_typewould have been read in as object (and that meets my expectations)ltvwould have been read in as float
I guess that the reason why both fields have been read in as objects is because of the first empty record, correct?
Whilst I am happy for employment_type to be read in as an object, how can I read in the ltv field as numeric?
I don't want to modify the format after I have read the file in. I need to find a way to automatically assign the correct format whilst reading in the file: I will have to read in some similar files with hundreds of columns and I can't manually assign the correct format to each column.
