Construct new columns out of the attributes of particular columns in R (using base R, if possible)

Viewed 29

Supppose I have this data-frame:

my_df <- data.frame(area = c(200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 201, 301, 401, 501, 601),
                    type = c("urban", "forest", "shrubs", "water", "vegetation", "urban", "forest", "shrubs", "water", "vegetation"),
                    year = c(2015,2015,2015,2015,2015,2016,2016,2016,2016,2016))
my_df
#>    area       type year
#> 1   200      urban 2015
#> 2   300     forest 2015
#> 3   400     shrubs 2015
#> 4   500      water 2015
#> 5   600 vegetation 2015
#> 6   201      urban 2016
#> 7   301     forest 2016
#> 8   401     shrubs 2016
#> 9   501      water 2016
#> 10  601 vegetation 2016

I would like to convert the attributes from column type to new column names with expected output like this:

#>   urban forest shrubs water vegetation year
#> 1   200    300    400   500        600 2015
#> 2   201    301    401   501        601 2016

I however encountered similar questions here and ended up using tidyr::pivot_wider but I couldn't get exactly what I wanted. It would be great help if you could help me on this part. If possible, base R functions would be preferred.

0 Answers
Related