Include Relationship in Use Case Diagram

Viewed 60

I have this diagram. The staff receives an email when his letter is approved. Do I need add an include relationship between two use cases? If I did that, it means the staff needs to approve letter to receive an email. It's different from the description.

enter image description here

1 Answers

Definitely not. The simple reason is, that Receive Email is no use case. It is a pure function, likely used in some yet unknown use case. A use case brings added value to its actor. And receiving an email has no added value (like the dreaded Login).

It's hard to judge whether Approve Letter is a valid use case. It seems like a bit trivial. Probably if it's a certain letter in a certain process. As such, I would not let it go through as use case.

As always I recommend to read Bittner/Spence about use case modeling.

Related