minkube dashboard command hangs on 'verifying proxy health'

Viewed 2260

I'm taking a Kubernetes course and part of the course is trying out minikube. I have minikube and kubectl installed on an Ubuntu 20.04 WSL on Windows 11. When I run minikube dashboard in the Ubuntu terminal the process hangs on Verifying proxy health.... I tried running kubectl proxy in another terminal window then running minikube dashboard. I go to the dashboard URL and use the proxy port number that the kubectl proxy command indicates but I only get this:

{
  "kind": "Status",
  "apiVersion": "v1",
  "metadata": {},
  "status": "Failure",
  "message": "no endpoints available for service \"kubernetes-dashboard\"",
  "reason": "ServiceUnavailable",
  "code": 503
}

I've also tried running minikube by using minikube start --vm-driver=docker as mentioned in this GitHub issue but it still hangs. How do get the dashboard to run? I'm completely new to Kubernetes in general.

4 Answers

For me the same issue was resolved after a restart of the minikube.

minikube stop
<close previously opened dashboard process> - for me ctrl+c in separate terminal, but maybe you'd have to kill it
minikube start
minikube dashboard

At first when I tried to start the dashboard, the following error showed up:

dashboard: The ClusterRoleBinding "kubernetes-dashboard" is invalid: cannot change roleRef

Using the provided in the terminal link I followed the steps in the answers and then the dashboard was stuck into the following error:

Verifying the proxy health ...

Restarting minikube did not solved the problem.

Following steps fixed the issue:

  1. Delete minikube container (through Docker Desktop or terminal)
  2. Start minikube again - minikube start (which caused minikube container recreation)
  3. minikube dashboard

I had to do this to get it to work:

kubectl apply -f https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kubernetes/dashboard/v2.0.0-beta8/aio/deploy/recommended.yaml

# Replace ClusterIP with NodePort (case sensitive)
kubectl edit svc kubernetes-dashboard -n kubernetes-dashboard

for me, it was updating docker desktop. Had a really old version and always snoozed on update prompts. Never used it that much. After updating, it works as intended.

Related