I am trying to update a running job on data flow.
Following this guide: https://cloud.google.com/dataflow/docs/guides/updating-a-pipeline

I have executed a pipeline using options created from the pom file using pipeline.run():

and was able to run a new job on the data flow from my custom template using
gcloud dataflow jobs run myJobName *arguments*
When I am trying to update the job I am adding the next two arguments as mentioned in the guide:<argument>--update</argument> <argument>--jobName=${jobName}</argument>
I am executing the pipeline (using pipeline.run()) and then I want to update the old job with the new template.
I Can see that my new template is there and I can create new Jobs from it using the command:
gcloud dataflow jobs run myJobName *arguments*
But all I get is a new job and my old job is not updated.
Did I miss anything? When in the guide they refer to "launch a new job" are they talking about executing the pipeline (using pipeline.run()) or running a job from the new template?