I need to reproduce the following figure

on R Studio for a macroeconomics project. I've been able to figure most of it out, but the stuff that's giving me the biggest issue is the legend and changing the shapes of the data points. Here is what I have so far

Here is my code with the data points input manually
# `First I load up some packages`
library(tidyverse)
# `then I create vectors for the years and percentages for Europe and the US`
year <- c(1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940, 1950, 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, 200, 2010)
us_percent <- c(40.5, 40.9, 44.7, 45.1, 36.5, 33.7, 34.1, 33.4, 37.5, 42.4, 46.9, 48.8)
euro_percent <- c(45.9, 45.8, 39.5, 40.5, 33.8, 31.7, 31.6, 29.7, 29.4, 32.4, 34, 34.7)
# `then I create a data frame for my vectors and name it`
df <- data.frame(year, us_percent, euro_percent)
# `then I create a ggplot function for the US and Europe inequality`
ggplot() +
geom_line(data=df, mapping=aes(x=year, y=euro_percent), color="cyan") +
geom_point(data=df, mapping=aes(x=year, y=euro_percent), color="cyan", ) +
geom_line(data=df, mapping=aes(x=year, y=us_percent), color="purple") +
geom_point(data=df, mapping=aes(x=year, y=us_percent), color="purple") +
xlim(1900, 2010) +
ylim(25, 50) +
labs(x="Year", y="Share of Total Pretax Income", title="Income Inequality")
I tried running various versions of scale_color_manual program, but it would leave it so my R console would show a "+" sign, and I don't know what to add after that. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you!


