Let's say I've got some data which is in an existing dataset which has no column partitioning but is still 200+ files. I want to rewrite that data into a hive partition. The dataset is too big to open its entirety into memory. In this case the dataset came from a CETAs in Azure Synapse but I don't think that matters.
I do:
dataset=ds.dataset(datadir, format="parquet", filesystem=abfs)
new_part = ds.partitioning(pa.schema([("nodename", pa.string())]), flavor="hive")
scanner=dataset.scanner()
ds.write_dataset(scanner, newdatarootdir,
format="parquet", partitioning=new_part,
existing_data_behavior="overwrite_or_ignore",
max_partitions=2467)
In this case there are 2467 unique nodenames and so I want there to be 2467 directories each with 1 file. However what I get is 2467 directories each with 100+ files of about 10KB each. How do I get just 1 file per partition?
I could do a second step
for node in nodes:
fullpath=f"{datadir}\\{node}"
curnodeds=ds.dataset(fullpath, format="parquet")
curtable=curnodeds.to_table()
os.makedirs(f"{newbase}\\{node}")
pq.write_table(curtable, f"{newbase}\\{node}\\part-0.parquet",
version="2.6", flavor="spark", data_page_version="2.0")
Is there a way to incorporate the second step into the first step?
Edit:
This is with pyarrow 7.0.0
Edit(2):
Using max_open_files=3000 did result in one file per partition. The metadata comparison between the two are that the two step approach has (for one partition)...
<pyarrow._parquet.FileMetaData object at 0x000001C7FA414A40>
created_by: parquet-cpp-arrow version 7.0.0
num_columns: 8
num_rows: 24840
num_row_groups: 1
format_version: 2.6
serialized_size: 1673
size on disk: 278kb
and the one step...
<pyarrow._parquet.FileMetaData object at 0x000001C7FA414A90>
created_by: parquet-cpp-arrow version 7.0.0
num_columns: 8
num_rows: 24840
num_row_groups: 188
format_version: 1.0
serialized_size: 148313
size on disk: 1.04MB
Obviously in the two step version I'm explicitly setting the version to 2.6 so that explains that difference. The total size of my data after the 2-step is 655MB vs the 1 step is 2.6GB. The time difference was pretty significant too. The two step was something like 20 minutes for the first step and 40 minutes for the second. The one step was like 5 minutes for the whole thing.
The remaining question is, how to set version="2.6" and data_page_version="2.0" in write_dataset? I'll still wonder why the row_groups is so different if they're so different when setting those parameters but I'll defer that question.