Problem:
I'm trying to config a fully containerized Zabbix version 6.0 monitoring system on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS using the Zabbix's Docker-Compose repo found HERE.
The command I used to raise the Zabbix server and also a Zabbix Agent is:
docker-compose -f docker-compose_v3_ubuntu_pgsql_latest.yaml --profile all up -d
Although the Agent rises in a broken state and shows a "red" status, when I change its' IP address FROM 127.0.0.1 TO 172.16.239.6 (default IP Docker-Compose assigns to it) the Zabbix Server can now successfully connect and monitoring is established. HOWEVER: the Zabbix Server cannot connect to any other Dockerized Zabbix Agents on REMOTE hosts which are raised with the docker run command:
docker run --add-host=zabbix-server:172.16.238.3 -p 10050:10050 -d --privileged --name DockerHost3-zabbix-agent -e ZBX_SERVER_HOST="zabbix-server" -e ZBX_PASSIVE_ALLOW="true" zabbix/zabbix-agent:ubuntu-6.0-latest
NOTE: I looked at other Stack groups to post this question, but Stackoverflow appeared to be the go-to group for these Docker/Zabbix issues having over 30 such questions.
Troubleshooting:
Comparative Analysis:
Agent Configuration:
Comparative analysis of the working ("green") Agent on the same host as the Zabbix Server with Agents on different hosts showing "red" statuses (not contactable by the Zabbix server) using the following command show the configurations have parity.
docker exec -u root -it (ID of agent container returned from "docker ps") bash
And then execute:
grep -Ev ^'(#|$)' /etc/zabbix/zabbix_agentd.conf
Ports:
The correct ports were showing as open on the "red" Agents as were open on the "green" agent running on the same host as the Zabbix Server from the output of the command:
ss -luntu
NOTE: This command was issued from the HOST, not the Docker container for the Agent.
Firewalling:
Review of the iptables rules from the HOST (not container) using the following command didn't reveal anything of concern:
iptables -nvx -L --line-numbers
But to exclude Firewalling, I nonetheless allowed everything in iptables in the FORWARD table on both the Zabbix server and an Agent in an "red" status used for testing.
I also allowed everything on the MikroTik GW router connecting the Zabbix Server to the different physical hosts running the Zabbix Agents.
Routing:
The Zabbix server can ping remote Agent interfaces proving there's a route to the Agents.
AppArmor:
I also stopped AppArmor to exclude it as being causal:
sudo systemctl stop apparmor
sudo systemctl status apparmor
Summary:
So everything is wide-open, the Zabbix Server can route to the Agents and the config of the "red" agents have parity with the config of the "green" Agent living on the same host at the Zabbix Server itself.
I've setup non-containerized Zabbix installation in production environments successfully so I'm otherwise familiar with Zabbix.
Why can't the containerized Zabbix Server connect to the containerized Zabbix Agents on different hosts?