Deploy Spring Boot project to WebSphere 8.5.5

Viewed 1143

I'm trying to deploy my spring boot project (made by spring initializr) with maven (but same issue with gradle) on WebSphere Application Server 8.5.5 but it seems impossible to me. Every-time I try to add to server from "Add and Remove" it says "There are no resources that can be added or removed from the server". So I tried changing Dynamic Web Module on Project properties --> project facets but nothing changed. Is it possible to deploy on WAS 8.5.5?

2 Answers

I found a similar reported issue here: Cannot 'Add and Remove' Maven Project with Websphere 7 on RAD 8.5.

I completely removed my project from RAD. I then extracted zip file from Spring Initializr to create a Maven project. I used "mvnw eclipse:eclipse" command and it successfully created build. I imported that as a general project to RAD.

I then clicked on project. Clicked on properties. Clicked on project facets. None were available, but it prompted me to create them and I did. From there, I selected Dynamic Web Module facet (and also JAX-RS, but I'm not sure if you'll care about that one). I clicked apply and close.

After this, I was able to add and remove resource to Websphere server. I don't know if this is preferred steps or not. I am learning, just as you are. But, it appeared to work.

I specified Java 8 Jar in Spring Initializr for packaging. Maven version is 3.8.4. Spring Boot 2.6.5 (it was pre-selected for me). I am using RAD 9.7 and Websphere server that is stood up in IDE is version 8.5.5.

To deploy spring boot to WebSphere 9 you would want to choose War packaging and Java 8. The zip file from the spring initializr includes a Help.md file with links to helpful documentation. After you extract the zip file, use File -> Import existing maven project into a new workspace.

Related