Let's assume I have N random access containers (std::vector and std::array for example) of different types, and that all containers have the same length. I want to write to write a function that prints them in a column-ordered fashion, i.e.:
#include <vector>
#include <iostream>
#include <array>
#include <complex>
constexpr int nr=100;
void print(const std::vector<double>& d1, const std::array<std::complex<double>,nr>& b1, const std::vector<int>& b2, const std::array<double,nr>& d2)
{
for(int i=0; i<nr; ++i)
std::cout<<b1[i]<<" "<<d1[i]<<" "<<b2[i]<<" "<<d2[i]<<"\n";
}
Now assuming that all the containers contain the standard numeric types I could write a variadic template function that would look like this:
template<typename... T>
void vprint(T... cs)
{
constexpr int nc=sizeof...(T);
std::vector<std::vector<std::complex<long double>>> v(nr, std::vector<std::complex<long double>>(nc));
//then fill v recursively with all the cs and print it
}
where I used std::complex<long double> since it would contain any possible number.
However this solution is unsatisfactory since I am allocating extra memory, I am converting some integers spoiling the output (and possibly precision), and, finally, the solution does not work if any of the containers contains a printable type that does not convert trivially to a numeric type.
Any idea on how to write a more general solution?