What is the proper way to handle Futures from inside an Akka (typed) Actor?
For example, assume there is an Actor OrderActor that receives Commands to place orders... which it does by making an http call to an external service. Since these are http calls to an external service, Futures are involved. So, what is the right way to handle that Future from within the Actor.
I read something about the pipeTo pattern. Is that what needs to happen here or something else?
class OrderActor(context: ActorContext[OrderCommand], orderFacade: OrderFacade)
extends AbstractBehavior[OrderCommand](context) {
context.log.info("Order Actor started")
override def onMessage(msg: OrderCommand): Behavior[OrderCommand] = {
msg match {
case PlaceOrder(
referenceId: OrderReferenceId,
ticker: Ticker,
quantity: Int,
replyTo: ActorRef[OrderResult]
) =>
orderFacade
.placeOrder(ticker, quantity) //this returns a Future
.map(res => {
//transform result
//book keeping / notification (affects state)
replyTo ! transformed
//Can/Should we map like this? I tried adding a log statement in here, but I never see it... and the replyTo doesnt seem to get the message.
})
this