I am trying to get use Django channels to send data over a websocket to my react native application from django. I have read all the available documentation on this subject on Django and have went through numerous stackoverflow posts, but I don't think they are applicable to me because they use redis and I decided not to use redis.
Whenever I try to send data right now, nothing sends.
These are my files.
models.py
from django.db import models
import json
from .consumers import DBUpdateConsumer
from django.db.models.signals import post_save
from django.dispatch import receiver
from channels.layers import get_channel_layer
from asgiref.sync import async_to_sync
channel_layer = get_channel_layer()
class Connect(models.Model):
id = models.AutoField(auto_created=True, primary_key=True, serialize=False, verbose_name='ID')
neighborhood = models.CharField(max_length=50, choices=neighborhood_choices, default='all')
first_name = models.CharField(max_length=50)
last_name = models.CharField(max_length=50)
email = models.CharField(max_length=100)
phone = models.CharField(max_length=50)
def save(self, *args, **kwargs):
super().save(self, *args, **kwargs)
print("def save")
async_to_sync(channel_layer.send)("hello", {"type": "something", "text": "hellooo"})
class Meta:
managed = False
db_table = 'connect'
settings.py
CHANNEL_LAYERS = {
"default": {
"BACKEND": "channels.layers.InMemoryChannelLayer"
}
}
consumers.py
import json
from channels.generic.websocket import AsyncJsonWebsocketConsumer
#used https://blog.logrocket.com/django-channels-and-websockets/
#https://channels.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/consumers.html
class DBUpdateConsumer(AsyncJsonWebsocketConsumer):
async def connect(self):
self.send_message(self, "UPDATE")
await self.accept()
await self.send(text_data=json.dumps({
"payload": "UPDATE",
}))
print("connect!")
async def disconnect(self, close_code):
print("Disconnected")
async def receive(self, text_data):
"""
Receive message from WebSocket.
Get the event and send the appropriate event
"""
response = json.loads(text_data)
#event = response.get("event", None)
#message = response.get("message", None)
print(response)
@classmethod
async def send_message(cls, self, res):
# Send message to WebSocket
print("send msg")
await self.send(text_data=json.dumps({
"payload": res,
}))
print("send msg")
What I am trying to do is whenever a new value is stored in my database, I am trying to send a message through a websocket that connects my react native app and my django backend. The websocket currently connects fine, but I am having trouble using the send_message function contained within my consumers.py file from outside consumers.py. So what I am trying to do is in my models.py file, send a message to all the channels that are open to eventually update my database. Currently, I am just trying to send test messages through, but no matter what I do, nothing goes through, and being a newbie to Django, I have no idea why.
Thank you!