I made a test CMakeLists.txt. I set system name and version before reading variables (although I didn't set the compiler):
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.10)
project(test)
include_directories(.)
set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Windows)
set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION 10.0.10240.0)
add_executable(test test.c)
target_link_libraries(test)
message("cmake system name = ${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME}")
message("cmake host name = ${CMAKE_HOST_SYSTEM_NAME}")
message("cmake system version = ${CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION}")
message("unix = ${UNIX}")
message("win32 = ${WIN32}")
Here is the output from "cmake ." on the terminal:
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 9.4.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 9.4.0
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc - skipped
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ - skipped
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
cmake system name = Windows
cmake host name = Linux
cmake system version = 10.0.10240.0
unix = 1
win32 =
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/francisco/Documents
The CMake documentation says UNIX and WIN32 are set to the target OS. Here I set the target OS and yet they remain set to the host OS. Why?