My problem is very similar to: R: Count occurrences of value in multiple columns
However, the solution proposed there doesn't work for me because in the same row the value may appear twice but I want to count only the rows where this appears. I have worked out a solution but it seems too long:
> toy_data = data.table(from=c("A","A","A","C","E","E"), to=c("B","C","A","D","F","E"))
> toy_data
from to
1: A B
2: A C
3: A A
4: C D
5: E F
6: E E
> #get a table with intra-link count
> A = data.table(table(unlist(toy_data[from==to,from ])))
> A
V1 N
1: A 1
2: E 1
A #get a table with total count
> B = data.table(table(unlist(toy_data[,c(from,to)])))
> B
V1 N
1: A 4
2: B 1
3: C 2
4: D 1
5: E 3
6: F 1
>
> # concatenate changing sign
> table = rbind(B,A[,.(V1,-N)],use.names=FALSE)
> # groupby and subtract
> table[,sum(N),by=V1]
V1 V1
1: A 3
2: B 1
3: C 2
4: D 1
5: E 2
6: F 1
Is there some function that would do the job in less lines? I thought in python I'd concatenate from and to then match(), cannot find the right sintax though
EDIT: I know this would work A=length(toy_data[from=="A"|to=="A",from]) but I would like avoiding loops among the various "A","B"... (and I don't know how to format output in this way)