I'm trying to use Sentence Transformers and Haystack for document retrieval, focusing on searching documents on other metadata beside document text.
I'm using a dataset of academic publication titles, and I've appended a fake publication year (which I want to use as a search term). From reading around I've combined the columns and just added a separator between the title and publication year, and included the column titles since I thought maybe this could add context. An example input looks like:
title Sparsity-certifying Graph Decompositions [SEP] published year 1980
I have a document store and method of retrieving here, based on this:
document_store_faiss = FAISSDocumentStore(faiss_index_factory_str="Flat",
return_embedding=True,
similarity='cosine')
retriever_faiss = EmbeddingRetriever(document_store_faiss,
embedding_model='all-mpnet-base-v2',
model_format='sentence_transformers')
document_store_faiss.write_documents(df.rename(columns={'combined':'content'}).to_dict(orient='records'))
document_store_faiss.update_embeddings(retriever=retriever_faiss)
def get_results(query, retriever, n_docs = 25):
return [(item.content) for item in retriever.retrieve(q, top_k = n_docs)]
q = 'published year 1999'
print('Results: ')
res = get_results(q, retriever_faiss)
for r in res:
print(r)
I do a check to see if any inputs actually have a publication year matching the search term, but when I look at my search results I'm getting entries with seemingly random published years. I was hoping that at least the results would all be the same published year, since I hoped to do more complicated queries like "published year before 1980".
If anyone could either tell me what I'm doing wrong, or whether I have misunderstood this process / expected results it would be much appreciated.