I'm trying to add a mutator for an existing private final field. I can transform the field modifiers to remove the final specification and add an accessor method:
// accessor interface
public interface UniqueIdAccessor {
Serializable getUniqueId();
}
// mutator interface
public interface UniqueIdMutator {
void setUniqueId(Serializable uniqueId);
}
...
// fragment of Java agent implementation
return new AgentBuilder.Default()
.type(hasSuperType(named("org.junit.runner.Description")))
.transform(new Transformer() {
@Override
public DynamicType.Builder<?> transform(DynamicType.Builder<?> builder, TypeDescription typeDescription,
ClassLoader classLoader, JavaModule module) {
return builder.field(named("fUniqueId")).transform(ForField.withModifiers(FieldManifestation.PLAIN))
.implement(UniqueIdAccessor.class).intercept(FieldAccessor.ofField("fUniqueId"))
// .implement(UniqueIdMutator.class).intercept(FieldAccessor.ofField("fUniqueId"))
.implement(Hooked.class);
}
})
.installOn(instrumentation);
...
Here's a method that uses reflection to check the modifiers of the target field and calls the accessor to get the value of the field.
private static void injectProxy(Description description) {
try {
Field bar = Description.class.getDeclaredField("fUniqueId");
System.out.println("isFinal: " + ((bar.getModifiers() & Modifier.FINAL) != 0));
} catch (NoSuchFieldException | SecurityException e) {
// TODO Auto-generated catch block
e.printStackTrace();
}
Serializable uniqueId = ((UniqueIdAccessor) description).getUniqueId();
System.out.println("uniqueId: " + uniqueId);
}
// isFinal: false
// uniqueId: <description-unique-id>
... but if I uncomment the second "implement" expression to add the mutator, the transform blows up:
// isFinal: true
// java.lang.ClassCastException:
// class org.junit.runner.Description cannot be cast to class com.nordstrom.automation.junit.UniqueIdAccessor
// (org.junit.runner.Description and com.nordstrom.automation.junit.UniqueIdAccessor
// are in unnamed module of loader 'app')
I could set the field value with reflection, but that defeats the purpose of using Byte Buddy in the first place!