Disclaimer: I know that DDD/CQRS might not be a perfect choice for below use case, but it was working great so far for other tasks in the project and I want to stick with it for learning purposes (eg. learn the hard way where not to use it ;).
Let's assume I'm building a Blogging Platform and have 3 types of posts: LifestylePost, RecipePost and ReviewPost. They have the same abstract base class PostBase which is an Aggregate Root and all of them share some properties like Author or implement methods like Publish, Delete etc. which change their Status and verify whether the state is valid. Each created post starts as a Draft which barely requires any validation, but switching to Published verifies nearly all properties.
Implementing commands/handlers like PublishPost or DeletePost was a breeze, but the problem starts when I'm thinking about CreatePost or UpdatePost. These are some dilemmas I'm currently facing:
- Create/update commands/handlers for each post types or one for all
Having them separately for each post types gives me more control over the logic, allows to tailor each command model precisely, but makes my API more complex for the client. With the second option I can resolve the post type by some discriminator in the command and check whether all necessary properties for that particular type were provided.
- Create empty post draft first or already filled with the data
When a user creates a new post (draft with an initial state) I can already call the API and add an empty post to the database, which would then be updated or I can wait until user inputs any data and clicks save. It's basically a matter of the arguments in the constructors of the posts.
- Handling post updates in general
This is the point where I'm having the biggest issues now. Since there are quite many properties that could or could not be changed by the user, it's hard to split them to particular methods inside the Aggregate Root different than just Update with huge amount of nullable arguments where null would mean that the property has not been provided by the client and therefore not changed. Also adding Status property here would mean that the proper method for validating the state would have to be resolved. This solution somehow doesn't feel like a proper DDD design...
Which decisions would you make in each points and why?