When setting up metrics and telemetry for my API, is it an anti-pattern to track something like "request-latency" as a metric (possibly in addition to) tracking it as a span?
For example, say my API makes a request to another API in order to generate a response. If I want to track latency information such as:
- My API's response latency
- The latency for the request from my API to the upstream API
- DB request latency
- Etc.
That seems like a good candidate for using a span but I think it would also be helpful to have it as a metric.
Is it a bad practice to duplicate the OTEL data capture (as both a metric and a span)?
I can likely extract that information and avoid duplication, but it might be simpler to log it as a metric as well.
Thanks in advance for your help.