Windows 11 add custom buton on new context menu (right click menu)

Viewed 752

On Windows 10, I had created a button in the menu that called a python script (see project). I had managed to do this by modifying values in the registry editor.

Old rightclik

My button still appears on Windows 11 but only on the old menu and not the new one. You must now click on “More option” to display all the options. I know it's possible to disable it on the new menu but I don't want to, I really want to add a button on the new. I think it is possible by modifying data in the register editor.

New rightclick menu

1 Answers

Microsoft changed Windows 11 on purpose to prevent people from easily adding entries to the context menu.

The only way to display your item in the new context menu is to implement a IExplorerCommand COM object and on top of that, your application needs to be packaged (app identity with a sparse manifest) and signed with a valid certificate.

This was announced on the Windows blog last year in this post.

Related