I am working on providing Android 11 support on my audio/video player app. My main concern is actually with not provoking the Google tribe with their no All files access permission allowed for player apps. I do not want my app to be rejected on publishing on the Google store.
In previous APIs, I am using WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission including Android 10 (where I opt out off Scoped Storage). Though, I do not know how to handle Android 11 without having my app rejected on publishing on Google store. I have learned that READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission is needed for querying MediaStore records and I have the following questions:
- Will asking for
READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGEon runtime on Android 11 be acceptable with Google (when I publish my app on their store)? - Can I ask for
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGEpermission on runtime instead ofREAD_EXTERNAL_STORAGEfor all APIs and the system on Android 11 devices would substitute that forREAD_EXTERNAL_STORAGEor will I need to add conditions where I ask forREAD_EXTERNAL_STORAGEon Android 11 devices. - Will asking for
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGEon runtime on Android 11 be acceptable with Google (when I publish my app on their store)?