I have looked over the forum but couldn't find what I am looking for.
I want to run a simple linear regression a couple of times. Each time using a different column as my independent variable, the dependent variable stays the same. After running it I want to be able to extract the R squared from each of the regressions. My thought process was to use a simple for loop. However, I cannot make it work.
Assume I work with the following data:
num value person1 person2 person3
0 1 229 29 81 0
1 2 203 17 75 0
2 3 244 62 0 55
and that I want to run the regression on the value using three variables: person1, person2 and person3. Note that this is a minimal working example but I hope to generalize the idea.
And so my initial attempt was to:
column <- names(df)[-2]
for(i in 3:5){
temp <- df[,c("value", column[i])]
lm.test <- lm(value ~ ., data = temp)
i + 1
}
However, when I run summary(lm.test) I only get a summary of the last regression, i.e. lm(value ~ person3) which I think makes sense but when trying to rewrite it as: lm.test[i] <- lm(value ~ ., data = temp) I get the following error:
debug at #3: temp <- df[,c("value", column[i])]
suggesting that there's something wrong with line 3?
If possible I'd like to be able to capture the summary for each regression but what I am really after is the R squared for each one of the regressions.