I have an algorithm that looks for the good pairs in a list of numbers. A good pair is being considered as index i being less than j and arr[i] < arr[j]. It currently has a complexity of O(n^2) but I want to make it O(nlogn) based on divide and conquering. How can I go about doing that?
Here's the algorithm:
def goodPairs(nums):
count = 0
for i in range(0,len(nums)):
for j in range(i+1,len(nums)):
if i < j and nums[i] < nums[j]:
count += 1
j += 1
j += 1
return count
Here's my attempt at making it but it just returns 0:
def goodPairs(arr):
count = 0
if len(arr) > 1:
# Finding the mid of the array
mid = len(arr)//2
# Dividing the array elements
left_side = arr[:mid]
# into 2 halves
right_side = arr[mid:]
# Sorting the first half
goodPairs(left_side)
# Sorting the second half
goodPairs(right_side)
for i in left_side:
for j in right_side:
if i < j:
count += 1
return count