I know how to set the relative size of subplots within a figure using gridspec or subplots_adjust, and I know how to set the size of a figure using figsize. My problem is setting the absolute size of the subplots.
Use case: I am making two separate plots which will be saved as pdfs for an academic paper. One has two subplots and one has three subplots (in both cases in 1 row). I need each of the 5 subplots to be the exact same size with the exact same font sizes (axis labels, tick labels, etc) in the resulting PDFs. In the example below the fonts are the same size but the subplots are not. If I make the height of the resulting PDFs the same (and thus the axes), the font on 3-subplots.pdf is smaller than that of 2-subplots.pdf.
MWE:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
subplots = [2, 3]
for i, cols in enumerate(subplots):
fig, ax = plt.subplots(1, cols, sharey=True, subplot_kw=dict(box_aspect=1))
for j in range(cols):
ax[j].set_title(f'plot {j*cols}')
ax[j].set_xlabel('My x label')
ax[0].set_ylabel('My y label')
plt.tight_layout()
plt.savefig(f'{cols}-subplots.pdf', bbox_inches='tight', pad_inches=0)
plt.show()

