I have a future that has a generic parameter, which is a superclass (A) of another class (B extends A). I know for a fact that the instance of the value of the Future is of the subtype. Why can't I downcast the Future<A> to Future<B> in dart? If I unwrap the Future once and then wrap it again using async/await, it works.
Here's an example:
class A {}
class B extends A{}
void main() {
Future<A> getFuture() async { return B();}
Future<B> getBasA() { return getFuture() as Future<B>;}
Future<B> getBasAasync() async { return (await getFuture()) as B;}
print(getBasAasync()); // Works
print(getBasA()); // Throws at runtime
}
For the curious and as a motivation for the question, here's a closer-to-world example. I have a stream that emits data packets, which I filter and then get the first like this:
Future<T> getResponse<T extends ReceivedPacket>() =>
getStream<ReceivedPacket>().firstWhere((packet) => packet is T) as Future<T>; //throws
Future<T> getResponse<T extends ReceivedPacket>() async { //works
return (await getStream<ReceivedPacket>().firstWhere((packet) => packet is T)) as T;
}
PS: I've tried it out in Typescript (will happily compile and run) and C# (won't compile, but I have very limited C# knowledge). I understand that the answer to this question might be "because this is how the dart type system works". I'm just confused, because I'd have expected it either to fail at compile time like C# or work at runtime, too, like typescript.