I want the user to input a String, lets say his or her name. The name can be Jessica or Steve. I want the program to recognize the string but only output the first three letters. It can really be any number of letters I decide I want to output (in this case 3), and yes, I have tried
charAt();
However, I do not want to hard code a string in the program, I want a user input. So it throws me an error. The code below is what I have.
public static void main(String args[]){
Scanner Name = new Scanner(System.in);
System.out.print("Insert Name here ");
System.out.print(Name.nextLine());
System.out.println();
for(int i=0; i<=2; i++){
System.out.println(Name.next(i));
}
}
the error occurs at
System.out.println(Name.next(i)); it underlines the .next area and it gives me an error that states,
"The Method next(String) in the type Scanner is not applicable for arguments (int)"
Now I know my output is supposed to be a of a string type for every iteration it should be a int, such that 0 is the first index of the string 1 should be the second and 2 should be the third index, but its a char creating a string and I get confused.