CLion says: "Cannot generate into /the/project/dir, it is already used for unknown project"

Viewed 210

I've been using CLion with a certain repository of mine for a while now. Suddenly (or maybe not suddenly, but I can't figure out the cause), I get this error message in the CMake console:

Cannot generate into /path/to/the/project/dir
It is already used for unknown project

Please either delete it manually or select another generation directory

I tried several things:

  • Deleting the build directories
  • Deleting .idea and opening the directory as a new project
  • Ensuring there are no other instances of CLion in the background
  • Checking the file ownership and permissions

... but to no effect. However, cloning the repository into a new folder does not result in this situation.

What could be the cause of this problem?

Notes:

  • CLion 2022.1 EAP 3
  • Devuan GNU/Linux Chimaera (~= Debian Bullseye)
  • non-root user
0 Answers
Related