I am encountering a strange behaviour with GitHub Action workflow_call.
Basically, everything works fine after the initial setup, but when I edit the input parameters of the workflow files it does not use the updated values. Hard to explain in words, so let me show you an example.
Consider this basic setup:
File: start-pipeline.yml
name: Start Pipeline
on:
workflow_dispatch:
inputs:
release_type:
required: true
type: choice
options:
- patch
- minor
- major
jobs:
call-sub-workflow:
uses: codezalot/workflow-call-issue/.github/workflows/sub-workflow.yml@main
with:
release_type: ${{ github.event.inputs.release_type }}
File: sub-workflow.yml
name: Sub Workflow
on:
workflow_call:
inputs:
release_type:
type: string
required: true
jobs:
my-job:
runs-on: ubuntu-latest
steps:
- name: Print Inputs
run: |
echo "Release Type: ${{ github.event.inputs.release_type }}"
I then start the pipeline with the value patch and the sub-workflow prints the input just fine:

I then update the workflow files and add an additional input value like this:
File: start-pipeline.yml
...
jobs:
call-sub-workflow:
uses: codezalot/workflow-call-issue/.github/workflows/sub-workflow.yml@main
with:
release_type: ${{ github.event.inputs.release_type }}
some_other_value: ${{ github.event.inputs.release_type }}
File: sub-workflow.yml
...
inputs:
...
some_other_value:
type: string
required: true
jobs:
...
run: |
echo "Release Type: ${{ github.event.inputs.release_type }}"
echo "Release Type: ${{ github.event.inputs.some_other_value }}"
I then run the pipeline again, once with release_type patch, once with minor. The value some_other_value is missing however, see:

.
I have been playing around with this issue for hours, but I do not understand what is going wrong. For it does seem to be using the latest SHA versions of the files, just the input parameters cause an issue.
Does anyone know what's going on here?
