What is the best way to get all the individual email addresses comprising an exchange distribution list?
For eg: I have this distribution list called abc@domainname.com that has email addresses:
a@domainname.comb@domainname.comc@domainname.com
Now I need to get these addresses using C# code.
I found solution using LDAP but I felt it'd be a hassle to figure out LDAP path to my Active Directory.
// How do I get this LDAP Path, username and password?
// Is the username and password service account credentials of the app?
// And do they need to be registered in AD?
var entry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP Path");//, username, password);
LDAP Way:
public static List<string> GetDistributionListMembers(string dlName = "abc@domainname.com")
{
var result = new List<string>();
try
{
// How do I get this LDAP Path?
var entry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP Path");//, username, password);
var search = new DirectorySearcher(entry);
search.Filter = $"CN={dlName}";
int i = search.Filter.Length;
string str = "", str1 = "";
foreach (SearchResult AdObj in search.FindAll())
{
foreach (String objName in AdObj.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties["member"])
{
str += Convert.ToString(objName) + "<Br>";
int selIndex = objName.IndexOf("CN=") + 3;
int selEnd = objName.IndexOf(",OU") - 3;
str1 += objName.Substring(selIndex, selEnd).Replace("\\", "");
DirectorySearcher dsSearch = new DirectorySearcher(entry);
dsSearch.Filter = "CN=" + objName.Substring(selIndex, selEnd).Replace("\\", "");
foreach (SearchResult rs in dsSearch.FindAll())
{
//str1 += "<p align='right'><font face='calibri' color='#2266aa' size=2>" + Convert.ToString(rs.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties["mail"].Value) + "|" + Convert.ToString(rs.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties["displayName"].Value) + "|" + Convert.ToString(rs.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties["sAMAccountName"].Value) + "|" + Convert.ToString(rs.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties["department"].Value) + "|" + Convert.ToString(rs.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties["memberOf"].Value) + "</font></p>";
str1 = Convert.ToString(rs.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties["mail"].Value);
result.Add(str1);
}
}
}
return result;
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
//Do some logging or what have you.
throw;
}
}
So I just went with the EWS route.
EWS Way:
public static static List<string> GetDistributionListMembers(string dlName = "abc@domainname.com")
{
try
{
var service = new ExchangeService();
var cred = new WebCredentials("sharedmailbox@domain.com", "some_password");
service.Credentials = cred;
service.Url = new Uri("https://outlook.office365.com/ews/exchange.asmx");
service.TraceEnabled = true;
service.TraceFlags = TraceFlags.All;
var expandedEmailAddresses = new List<string>();
ExpandGroupResults myGroupMembers = service.ExpandGroup(dlName);
foreach (EmailAddress address in myGroupMembers.Members)
{
expandedEmailAddresses.Add(address.Address);
}
return expandedEmailAddresses;
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
// The DL doesn't have any members. Handle it how you want.
// Handle/ Log other errors.
}
}
Is EWS approach a good way?
If Yes, then I'm good. If not, I'll have to figure out that LDAP path.
Or if there's even a better way, please let me know.
UPDATE
For me, LDAP way only worked for finding email addresses inside AD groups, for eg: named ITSolutionDeliveryDevelopers group. NOT inside Exchange Distribution Lists, for eg: named abc@domainname.com.
// I was able to figure out entry as suggested by @Gabriel Luci and
// all of the following possible formats worked for me:
// ngroupnet.com is my company domain name.
var entry = new DirectoryEntry();
var entry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://ngroupnet.com");
var entry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://ngroupnet.com", "MyAccountUsername", "MyAccountPassword");
var entry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://ngroupnet.com", "MyName@mycompany.com", "MyEmailAccountPassword");
For my complete answer, take a look below: https://stackoverflow.com/a/71518937/8644294