I need to build an LDAP proxy that I can program to inspect and modify the LDAP requests and responses - some of the LDAP requests/responses will simply be passed through, but for others I might want to send two different requests to the server and then combine the results (that's just one example - there will be other use cases).
I've looked at the proxying options documented for OpenLDAP's slapd, and I see that it has quite flexible configuration and 'overlays', but no capability to insert custom code. So I think that's not a solution, unless slapd's source code is easy to modify, to insert my own modules plus hooks to/from the existing code (?)
An alternative would be to start with a friendly TCP/IP framework library (or even a complete TCP/IP proxy). Then I can link to an ASN.1 decoding/encoding library, and write the rest myself.
I'd prefer to avoid having to write (& learn) all the TCP/IP connection/message handling and event loop myself.
So I'm looking for the most complete starting point that does the hard work and gives me the flexibility to write what I need. Typical lazy/greedy approach :-)
Must be open source, ideally in C or C++, and I'll probably be targetting RHEL/CentOS 8 in a container.