I'm following the gitflow branching model. I follow the guidelines quite closely.
- I create a release branch from dev, and make final bugfixes and adjustments there
- I then merge this into main, and then into dev, and then delete the release branch
- I use the --no-ff (no fast-forward) flag when merging my release branch into both main and dev
- the only thing that I currently don't follow is tagging my main from git after incorporating the changes from release into it. Instead I tag it from the GitHub repo using the releases feature.
However, my dev branch now says this:
This branch is 1 commit ahead, 1 commit behind main.
I'm confused by this. It appears that the new merge commit (caused by merging release into dev and main) on each branch is the only difference. Is this supposed to happen? Am I doing something wrong?