I am creating a list tracking app with React hooks, Redux, and Ruby on Rails. There is a List model, with a title as a string and completed as a boolean, and a ListItem model with descriptions as a string (the list item), completed boolean, and list_id as an integer.
I am using react route V6 for this and getting a little lost in re-rendering/ updating the page. Here is the breakdown of the application:
On the home screen, you can click to view all Lists and add a new list. when viewing all list each list title is displayed as a link to that list show page. The show page shows the list title, list items and a form to add another list item. Now where I am having trouble is being able to add a new list item, and it display on the page right after submission. Right now when I add a new item, and refresh the page it is not there. But if I click back to view all lists, then click that list again it shows up under the list items.
I tried using useNavigate to navigate to that list show page even though it is already on it but I am getting this error
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot destructure property 'list' of 'location.state' as it is null.
Here is all my components:
App.js
class App extends React.Component {
render(){
return (
<div className="App">
<Navbar/>
<br></br>
<Routes>
<Route path="/" element={<Home/>} />
<Route path="/lists" element={<Lists />} />
<Route path="/lists/new" element={<ListForm />} />
<Route path="/lists/:id" element={<ListContainer />} />
</Routes>
</div>
);
}
}
Lists.js
export default function Lists() {
const lists = useSelector(state => state.lists)
// replaces mapStateToProps
const dispatch = useDispatch()
// replaces mapDispatchToProps
useEffect(() => {
dispatch(fetchLists())
}, [])
return (
<div>
{Array.isArray(lists) && lists.map((list) => {
return (
<Link
key={list.id}
to={`/lists/${list.id}`}
state={{ list: list }}
>
<h2>{list.title}</h2>
</Link>
)
})}
</div>
)
}
ListContainer.js
export default function ListContainer() {
const location = useLocation();
const { list } = location.state;
console.log(list)
return (
<div>
<List list={list}/>
<ListItemForm list={list}/>
</div>
);
}
List.js
export default function List({list}) {
return (
<div>
<h4>{list.title}</h4>
{list.list_items.map((item) => {
return (
<div key={item.id}>
<li key={item.id}>{item.description}</li>
</div>
);
})}
<br></br>
</div>
);
}
and ListItemForm.js
export default function ListItemForm({list}) {
const [item, setItem] = useState("")
const dispatch = useDispatch()
const navigate = useNavigate()
function handleSubmit(e) {
e.preventDefault()
let newItem = {description: item, completed: false, list_id: list.id}
dispatch(createListItem(newItem, list.id))
setItem("")
navigate(`/lists/${list.id}`)
}
return (
<div>
<br></br>
<form onSubmit={handleSubmit}>
<label>Add to your list: </label>
<input value={item} onChange={(e) => setItem(e.target.value)} />
</form>
</div>
)
}
I have been stuck on this for quite some time now and not sure where to go from here or where I am going wrong. Any help is appreciated!!