I want to split a string as per the parameters laid out in the title. I've tried a few different things including using preg_match with not much success so far and I feel like there may be a simpler solution that I haven't clocked on to.
I have a regex that matches the "price" mentioned in the title (see below).
/(?=.)\£(([1-9][0-9]{0,2}(,[0-9]{3})*)|[0-9]+)?(\.[0-9]{1,2})?/
And here are a few example scenarios and what my desired outcome would be:
Example 1:
input: "This string should not split as the only periods that appear are here £19.99 and also at the end."
output: n/a
Example 2:
input: "This string should split right here. As the period is not part of a price or at the end of the string."
output: "This string should split right here"
Example 3:
input: "There is a price in this string £19.99, but it should only split at this point. As I want it to ignore periods in a price"
output: "There is a price in this string £19.99, but it should only split at this point"