Below are a simple html source code I'm working with
<html>
<head>
<title>Welcome to the comments assignment from www.py4e.com</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>This file contains the actual data for your assignment - good luck!</h1>
<table border="2">
<tr>
<td>Name</td><td>Comments</td>
</tr>
<tr><td>Melodie</td><td><span class="comments">100</span></td></tr>
<tr><td>Machaela</td><td><span class="comments">100</span></td></tr>
<tr><td>Rhoan</td><td><span class="comments">99</span></td></tr>
Below is my code try to get the <td>Melodie</td> line
html='html text file aboved'
soup=BeautifulSoup(html,'html.parser')
for tag in soup.find_all('td'):
print(tag)
print('----') #Result:
#===============================================================================
# <td>Name</td>
# ----
# <td>Comments</td>
# ----
# <td>Melodie</td>
# ----
# <td><span class="comments">100</span></td>
# ----
# <td>Machaela</td>
# ----
# <td><span class="comments">100</span></td>
# ----
# <td>Rhoan</td>
# ----
#.........
#===============================================================================
Now I want to get the <td>name<td> lines only and not the line with 'span' and 'class'. I try 2 filters soup.find_all('td' and not 'span') and soup.find_all('td', attrs={'class':None}) but none of those work. I know there is other way around but I want to use the filter in soup.find_all().
My expected output (actually my final goal is to get the name of person between two <td>):
# <td>Name</td>
# ----
# <td>Comments</td>
# ----
# <td>Melodie</td>
# ----
# <td>Machaela</td>
# ----
# <td>Rhoan</td>
# ----