I would like to create an ECS task with Fargate, and have that upload a file to S3 using the AWS CLI (among other things). I know that it's possible to create task roles, which can provide the task with permissions on AWS services/resources. Similarly, in OpsWorks, the AWS SDK is able to query instance metadata to obtain temporary credentials for its instance profile. I also found these docs suggesting that something similar is possible with the AWS CLI on EC2 instances.
Is there an equivalent for Fargate—i.e., can the AWS CLI, running in a Fargate container, query the metadata service for temporary credentials? If not, what's a good way to authenticate so that I can upload a file to S3? Should I just create a user for this task and pass in AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY as environment variables?
(I know it's possible to have an ECS task backed by EC2, but this task is short-lived and run maybe monthly; it seemed a good fit for Fargate.)