Is mysql/docker/zfs safe?

Viewed 101
1 Answers

Historical references seem to contain a few references to OSX, potentially some to WSL2. Consistent behavior from AIO and O_DIRECT though these layers isn't tested by MariaDB. I have no information if MySQL does so or not, so this is going to be a largely MariaDB answer.

The other zfs question you need to ask is is this zfs-fuse or OpenZFS.

MariaDB also doesn't test against any of these in CI (though a task exists to improve coverage).

Recent examples like MDEV-27900 show that btrfs, and O_DIRECT (and a bit of uring) can cause unexpected behaviour. This was quite quick to see on a test, however not all errors are as predicatable/repeatible.

Currently I'm working on MDEV-27593 improving AIO error handing.

fallocate seems to have a fallback implemented.

So for the moment for safety at least on MariaDB, I'd stick to --innodb_use_native_aio=0 and/or --innodb_flush_method=fsync for a little while longer to keep the stronger aspects of the zfs implementation used.

Related