I made a React project using npx create-react-app inside my OneDrive folder on Windows 10.
OneDrive complained about one of the folders being named '~' (it was a folder with Node config files made automatically by create-react-app).
This was honestly a huge nightmare:
- I could not rename, move or delete the folder myself. Windows Explorer didn't allow it because there was a 'sync error'
- OneDrive would just completly stop syncing until the issue is fixed. I could not do anything manually, so my only option was to use their 'rename' button in the error message (which is supposed to automatically rename the file and fix the error). This did not work. I would try again and again over the span of a few days and it would do nothing, the error persisted.
- Ultimately I copied my project outside OneDrive, but now I wasn't able to delete my old folders. I tried everything I could think of: pause sync, try to delete them with Windows in Safe Mode, uninstalled OneDrive in the end. I managed to delete most of the contents (with a lot of effort), but there were stil some Node directories that would not be deleted. I was getting a 'reparse point buffer' error which I solved by running chkdsk /f /x
Partly, I'm posting this hoping that my experience would help someone that has simmilar issues with OneDrive, but I also want to know how to keep React projects in my OneDrive.
I like having everything on my laptop in my OneDrive folder so it is synced: I want to be able continue my work when I move to my computer.